Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The new Magician @ IBM...

Magicians @ IBM.... The name rings a bell doesn't it? This was the slogan on the back of the t-shirts that were given to us on 9th July, 2004 when we got placed in IBM... a li'l over a year later... we are now finally the proud IBMers we dreamt to be...

18th July, 2005 heralded the dawn of a new phase of my life. Yes, it was my first day at work and that too at a grand organization like IBM. I was excited and a bit nervous because I did not know a soul there who would be joining on the same day with me. I walked in at 0900 hours IST (wow! now that sounds formal...) and was immediately made to feel at home by the HR personnel. After my documents were verified, I was welcomed into IBM with my joining folder and a handshake. I had been forewarned about the number of autographs (he he) that I would be required to give on day 1, but did not expect the final count of the number of forms I was required to fill. Yikes!!! I realised I was in for a few hours of sheer "hamali".

Once the donkey work was done with, we were asked to go for lunch and since we were new there, the lunch on the first day was free. Immediately a smile showed up on everyone's till then bored n sleepy faces. The change in the expression did not escape anyone's eyes... Anyways, the lunch was good... n the best part was the fact that it was free ("kanjoos makkhichoos" that we all are... he he)

Post lunch I submitted all the forms and documents and we were told about all the facilities being provided. Some of the things were pretty impressive, I gotta say... For instance, we were told that everything around us was guaranteed to be fire resistant for 45 minutes. Following all this, I was sent off to meet my RDM (ok.. who's that supposed to be? still dunno so enlightenment is welcome) Unfortunately she was unwell and on a leave hence total hodge podge as no one knew what I was supposed to do. Finally I was rescued by my project manager and was finally shown my cubicle and was briefed about what I would be doing for the next few years.

After I got back home, after a one hour battle with the incessant rains and the horrible traffic, friends called to ask me what my first day at work was like. It was truly an experience... So different from college life. My chest swells with pride when I walk around with the badge which reads "IBM Employee", a proof that I am now a part of the world's largest computer organization.... It's really a dream come true...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear this inspiring notes on IBM

Subin said...

Good to hear about ur first day job experiences.Some of our seniors who were placed in IBM got shirts with
"ideator@IBM" written on the back.
I wonder what i will feel on the first day of my job!well lot of time left for that.

Sajjan said...

u got a place in cubical on 1st day? no training??

Anonymous said...

hey, we didn't get any t-shirt while placement. This is ridiculous. It's not as much about a shirt as about and IBM shirt. Anyways, i'll get some when I join.

Arun Pillai said...

Good to hear that ur keepin ur heads high after gettin into the shoes of an IBM Employee. Cool :)